Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sadface.

Today I worked all three jobs, nine a.m. to nine p.m.
This was capped off by my oldest nannybaby telling me that she is trying to lose weight. She's been trying to eat less and measuring out her food but she says the serving sizes are so small. She told me she thinks she's flabby and has fat thighs. Let me just tell you, she doesn't need to lose weight. She's totally normal size, perfect size for her height. Also, she's twelve. As someone who has always struggled with the concept of weight and my own body issues, I know how terrible (and I'm sure all of you do too!) it is to not feel happy with your body. But at twelve years old, it just makes me sad that kids feel like they have to start dieting, especially when they are at a healthy, good, normal weight.

What do you think is the right age to start worrying about this stuff?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, that is awful. My bosses daughter is 13 and she was just diagnosed with anorexia... it is an awful way to grow up, being obsessed with food and weight. I don't think kids need to worry about their weight being too high until their doctors tell them to.

    ReplyDelete